Sunday, April 5, 2009

Health issues

Since the cramping episode in Ballarat in January I have been having a few health problems – just feeling like I am not recovering, constant fatigue, muscle cramps and rubbish performance. My life is pretty full with raising a 6 year old, running a business, training and (recently) university studies so I attributed it to partially overtraining and partially ‘overliving’. I tell my clients that recovery is the other half of the training equation but what do they say about plumbers never fixing their own taps…???

After 2 weeks of recovery after Oceania’s I feel possibly worse than when I was training. I have some strange symptoms such as muscle-twitching when at rest (which I have discovered is called ‘fasciculation’ – google it!) and a metallic taste in my mouth that I can’t get rid of. The latter by far the most distressing as I am now unable to taste red wine!!! A couple of doctors visits and blood tests and I am still none the wiser. My current supplements now include magnesium, zinc, Co-enzyme Q10, Vitamin C and I am thinking of adding Selenium…because, well you can just never have too much Selenium (actually I’ve found out more than 900 micrograms a day is too much). Every time I get my heart-rate up it feels like my legs are about to start the cramp-a-thon again. Luckily I am so busy I can’t dwell too much on it but yes, it’s starting to get me down. Just want to feel normal again L

So I am starting ‘abstinence April’ – cutting out alcohol (yes even the stuff I can taste like cider and beer), chocolate & standing up for long periods of time in high-heels in overrated establishments (read: Cloudland). My diet, which is always good anyway, will be full of antioxidants and I will get a full 8 hours sleep each night. Have to go now as I think a pig just flew past my window.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jodie - sorry to read about the health frustrations. For what its worth I was similarly frustrated for about 9 months from late 2005 to May 2006. In those nine months, I had about 11 colds and each and every one involved extreme lethargy, weakness, aching bones etc. Had quite a few tests that revealed nothing and the Docs concluded, my immune system had worn down and I was simply just having a bad run of health.

    However, the last 35 months have been the best stretch of good health I've had in my entire life with only about 2-3 very minor colds each year.

    So keep your chin up - I'm sure there is light at the end of the tunnel. A period of high volume, low intensity training could help?

    M

    ReplyDelete